Curried Chicken & “Rice” Stew (Paleo, AIP, GAPS, Wahls, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Stovetop
Base Recipe: Curried Chicken & “Rice” Stew:
Nightshade-Free Seeded Curry:
My recipe and recommended if you tolerate seed-based spices
- 2 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
Nightshade-Free Seedless Curry:
From the former blog, Feed Me Rachel (use for strict AIP)
- ShopAIP now sells an AIP-friendly curry powder!
- Choose your nightshade-free curry recipe. Whisk the ingredients together and put in a spice jar.
- In a large soup pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. (You might need to brown the chicken in two batches. It’s okay if it’s not completely cooked, because it will cook more in later steps). With a slotted spoon, remove the browned chicken from the pan and set aside. Leave the chicken fat and juices in the pan.
- Add chopped onion to the soup pot and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic and curry and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot and add broth and mangoes. Increase heat to a boil, then reduce heat, cover pan & simmer 15 minutes.
- Pulse cauliflower in food processor until it reaches a rice consistency. (You might need to pulse the cauliflower in 2 batches). Add cauliflower “rice” to soup pot & simmer a final 5 minutes.
- Juice the lime over the pot and stir to blend. Then add salt to taste.
- Time-saving tip: Many stores sell pre-chopped cauliflower rice in the frozen food aisle. A small head of cauliflower is equivalent to about 3 cups of cauliflower rice.
- You can also find pre-cubed mangos in the frozen food aisle, if you don’t have access to fresh.
- And can substitute 3 peaches or 4 apricots for the mangoes.
- If you don’t have a nightshade sensitivity, you can use regular curry.
Keywords: paleo, aip, gaps, wahls, whole30, one pot, curried chicken and "rice" stew