- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large bunch of beets with greens attached
- 4 cups thickly sliced carrots
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 grapefruit (squeezed into juice)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. raw honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put the coconut oil in a 9×13 pan in the oven (to melt the oil).
- Prepare the vegetables: (1) Depending on the size of the beet greens, you may need to tear them into smaller pieces; then rinse well and set aside. (2) Rinse the beet stems under running water and slice them into inch wide pieces. (3) Peel and chop the beets into small pieces (approximately 3/4” squares). (4) Slice carrots in a thickness similar in size to the beets.
- Remove 9×13 pan with melted oil from oven. Add beets, beet stems and carrots and toss until evenly coated with the oil. Add generous sprinkling of salt and toss again.
- Bake for one hour, turning the beets and carrots halfway through.
- 10 minutes before the beets and carrots are done, boil a small amount of water in a medium saucepan. Add the beet greens and simmer until they wilt. Remove from water and set aside.
- Pour out the water you used to cook the beet greens and use the same pan to make your glaze. Add the grapefruit juice and honey to pan and stir to blend. Simmer over medium heat until juice reduces by half (about 5 minutes).
- To serve, divide the greens between plates. Top with roasted beets and carrots. Use a large spoon to drizzle the glaze over each plate.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Oven
Keywords: paleo, aip, gaps, wahls, roasted beets and carrots with grapefruit glaze