- Cut the fat, vessels and fascial layer off the beef heart & throw them away. (See video above for demonstration). Cut remaining heart meat into kebab sized cubes.
- Put the heart cubes in small casserole dish. Sprinkle liberally with salt (and pepper if using) .
- Put the herbs, garlic and shallots in a food processor, along with 1/4 cup olive oil. Pulse to blend.
- Add remaining olive oil and rest of ingredients & pulse to blend well (but don’t puree.)
- Pour 3/4 cup of the sauce into a glass measuring cup and put in the fridge until later.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the heart cubes and toss to blend. Marinate in the fridge a minimum of 2 hours and up to 24 hours. I did 8 hours, and it was delicious.
- When ready to cook, preheat gas grill for 10 minutes on high & then turn the heat down to medium. (If you don’t have a grill, you can sauté the meat in a skillet.)
- Remove reserved sauce from the fridge, to allow it to come to room temperature. Stir with a fork to blend, before serving.
- Cook the heart cubes 4 minutes per side and serve with small bowl of fresh sauce for dipping.
- If you have leftovers, the heart cubes taste really good cold.
- Trimming the fascia from the heart is easiest with a sharp, curved knife, like this one.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Grill
Keywords: paleo, aip, gaps, wahls, whole30, beef heart with chimichurri sauce