- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- salt, for seasoning chicken
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound Japanese white sweet potato, peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut off the tips and set aside, cut stalks into half-inch rounds
- 3 cups bone broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pan juices from cooking the chicken
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 cups baby arugula, packed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pat chicken breasts dry. Season both sides with salt.
- Place them smooth side down in hot skillet. Sear 2 minutes per side. Add the water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Note: This won’t seem like enough water, but it is. The chicken will release more liquid as it cooks.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare other ingredients.
- When chicken is done, remove breasts to cutting board and chop into bite-sized cubes. Reserve pan juices – you’ll be using them later in the recipe.
- Melt remaining coconut oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds (just until fragrant). Add sweet potato and asparagus stalks (not the tips), along with bone broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and pan juices saved from cooking the chicken. Add thyme if using. Bring to boil then reduce heat. Simmer covered 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Transfer soup to high-speed blender. Add baby arugula and blend until smooth. (You might need to do this in 2 batches).
- Return puréed soup to pot. Add asparagus tips. Bring to boil then reduce heat. Simmer 3 minutes. Add chicken to pot and simmer another minute, just until chicken is warmed through.
- Stir in lemon juice. Taste, and add more salt if needed.
- This recipe first appeared in an AIP community e-cookbook called AIP By Season as a celebration of Spring. It contains 100 other recipes to celebrate the seasons.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: paleo, aip, wahls, whole30, chicken asparagus soup