This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to see what that means.
“Colors are the smiles of nature.”
~ Leigh Hunt
There’s a reason Terry Wahls recommends that we eat three cups of brightly colored fruits and vegetables daily. Every color represents a different blend of micronutrients that our bodies need to thrive. This recipe is a nutritional powerhouse, covering the green, red/purple, and orange parts of the spectrum. An added bonus is that it’s both beautiful and delicious. Even though I’m on a restricted diet, I still love food, and recipes like this have an abundance of flavor that feeds my soul as well as my body.
So what are we getting with all these colors?
- Beets contain antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and detoxifying compounds.
- Carrots contain antioxidant, anti-cancer, and cardio-protective compounds.
- Beet stems and greens provide us with an abundance of vitamins A, C, K, and magnesium.
- Finally, grapefruit juice brings more than just flavor. It ranks as one of the highest juices in antioxidant content, helps prevent kidney stones, and has anti-cancer properties as well.
- Isn’t real food amazing?!
Roasted Beets and Carrots with Grapefruit Glaze (Paleo, AIP, GAPS, Wahls)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put the coconut oil in a 9×13 pan in the oven (to melt the oil).
- Prepare the vegetables: (1) Depending on the size of the beet greens, you may need to tear them into smaller pieces; then rinse well and set aside. (2) Rinse the beet stems under running water and slice them into inch wide pieces. (3) Peel and chop the beets into small pieces (approximately 3/4” squares). (4) Slice carrots in a thickness similar in size to the beets.
- Remove 9×13 pan with melted oil from oven. Add beets, beet stems and carrots and toss until evenly coated with the oil. Add generous sprinkling of salt and toss again.
- Bake for one hour, turning the beets and carrots halfway through.
- 10 minutes before the beets and carrots are done, boil a small amount of water in a medium saucepan. Add the beet greens and simmer until they wilt. Remove from water and set aside.
- Pour out the water you used to cook the beet greens and use the same pan to make your glaze. Add the grapefruit juice and honey to pan and stir to blend. Simmer over medium heat until juice reduces by half (about 5 minutes).
- To serve, divide the greens between plates. Top with roasted beets and carrots. Use a large spoon to drizzle the glaze over each plate.
Keywords: paleo, aip, gaps, wahls, roasted beets and carrots with grapefruit glaze
More Delicious Recipes