This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to see what that means.
Can 4 Questions Change Your Life?
This is one of my favorite mind-body techniques. When I feel stuck in fear, anger, or grief with no way to move forward, this technique transforms those feelings into peace. Does that sound too good to be true? That's why I love this technique – it's that powerful for me. Autoimmune disease and suffering often go hand-in-hand, physically, mentally and emotionally. The Work of Byron Katie is a process for questioning stressful thoughts and the feelings they feed. In this podcast, I offer myself up as a guinea pig with Katie as my guide. At the time of this recording, I wasn't in remission and feeling frustrated because I was “doing everything right”. Can you relate? Listen to our conversation, and learn how to apply this technique in your own life. Byron Katie has taught this technique to millions of people around the world, and is the author of six books, including the bestselling Loving What is – 4 Questions That Can Change Your Life.
Listen to the Show
- Subscribe to my podcast through your favorite podcast app: iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, TuneIn, or Spotify.
- You can also listen to the episode right here through the player below. If you subscribe to my blog by email, you'll get notified of future episodes.
- Intro (0:00)
- Thank You to Our Podcast Sponsor: Paleo on the Go (1:54)
- The Phoenix Helix Variety Pack is a selection of my favorite, nutrient-dense AIP foods, permanently discounted by $20.
- If you're not familiar with Paleo on the Go, they are a frozen meal delivery service, they have a large menu of items for the paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP). I take the meals with me on vacation, and keep a stash in the freezer for emergencies.
- Read my detailed review here.
- Use the coupon code PHOENIX for 10% off your first order.
- What is “The Work”? (3:09)
- The Work is a process of self-inquiry that helps us question stressful thoughts and find the truth underneath.
- There are 4 questions: Is it true? Can you absolutely know that's true? How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? Who would you be without that thought?
- Turnarounds – Finding examples where the opposite is true.
- It cuts through fear and helps us live truly in the present moment, without living in the past or projecting into the future.
- This isn't a process we do in our minds. Writing it down and tuning into our bodies is essential.
- Demonstrating “The Work” (11:11)
- Eileen offers herself as an example, and Katie takes her through the process of self-inquiry, questioning this stressful belief: I'm disappointed with myself because I'm not in remission.
- While I usually write detailed show notes, this is a process best heard. A summary won't do it justice. You can listen through the play bar at the bottom of this post, or through iTunes or Stitcher. The demo starts at time stamp 11:11 and continues interspersed throughout the rest of the podcast.
- When's the Best Time to Do “The Work”? (22:31)
- Every day. It's great to do 20 minutes first thing in the morning, to set the tone for your day.
- However, if you're having a day where you are in a lot of physical pain, be gentle and caring of yourself. That is not the time to do The Work. Instead, wait until you have some breathing room, and then write down the thoughts that consumed you while you were in pain. Work on those – one each day.
- While Katie often tells people to ease into the work by starting with a judgment about someone else, she believes we can start right away with our beliefs about autoimmune disease. Because we are NOT our autoimmune disease.
- Keep an open mind. The ego clings to its beliefs.
- Universal Beliefs (24:34)
- These are stressful thoughts that people all around the world believe, which simply aren't true. Here's the full list. Some will be beliefs you hold. These are great statements to process through The Work.
- Stressful thoughts are exhausting. They affect our ability to live a full life. They impact our relationships. They often make us feel like victims. That's why it can be so transformative to learn how to avoid being ruled by these thoughts.
- Three Kinds of Business (42:13)
- My Business
- Your Business
- God's Business
- Outro (47:39)
- You can keep up with Byron Katie through TheWork.com. It's full of free resources to help you implement this technique in your own life. There's also a calendar of events – from one-day workshops to month-long intensives. She's also the author of six books, including the bestselling Loving What is – 4 Questions That Can Change Your Life.
- Eileen (your podcast host) has written 4 books: A Simple Guide to the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (paperback, kindle and audio versions), Reintroducing Foods on the AIP (PDF ebook), The Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook (PDF ebook), and 85 Amazing AIP Breakfasts (PDF ebook).
- If you purchased A Simple Guide to the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol , you are eligible for some free PDFs – The AIP Food Pyramid, the AIP Foods to Avoid, and an AIP Grocery List. Send your receipt through my contact form. And if you loved the book, please write a review on Amazon.
- Check out the entire archive of podcast episodes.
You May Also Be Interested In
Spreading the Word
If you like the podcast, please leave a positive review in iTunes or Stitcher. It would mean the world to me, and also helps others find the podcast and learn about their potential for healing. Here are some quick instructions using your iPhone:
- If you are already subscribed to my podcast: (1) Click the purple podcast icon. (2) Click on Shows. (3) Click the Phoenix Helix podcast image. (4) Scroll down the page, and you'll see Ratings and Reviews. Scroll down a little bit more and click on Write a Review. This will bring up the review screen. Tap 5 stars (if you love the podcast), and then click in the title box, and it will bring up the keyboard. Enter a title and short review. (5) Click Send in the upper right corner. (6) Thank you! Positive reviews give the podcast a higher search ranking in iTunes, helping people find it and letting them know it's a quality podcast and worth their time to listen.
- If you haven't subscribed to my podcast: (1) Click the purple podcast icon. (2) In the lower right corner, click the magnifying class. (3) Type Phoenix Helix in the search box. (4) Click the podcast cover in the Show list. (5) If you'd like to subscribe, click the purple Subscribe button. (6) To write a review, scroll down the page, and you'll see Ratings and Reviews. Scroll down a little bit more and click on Write a Review. This will bring up the review screen. Tap 5 stars (if you love the podcast), and then click in the title box, and it will bring up the keyboard. Enter a title and short review. (5) Click Send in the upper right corner. (6) Thank you! Positive reviews give the podcast a higher search ranking in iTunes, helping people find it and letting them know it's a quality podcast and worth their time to listen.