“When I pass a flowering zucchini plant in a garden,
my heart skips a beat.”
~ Gwyneth Paltrow
It’s not officially summer until anonymous bags of zucchini start appearing on your front porch. At least that’s the case if you have friends who garden. Otherwise, you might be like my husband, who simply cannot buy small quantities at the farmers market. Like a kid in a candy store, he goes a little crazy, bringing home enough vegetables for a household twice our size. It’s a good thing we love veggies!
In honor of summer, and the Grand Zucchini, I offer you my favorite way to cook it. This recipe looks deceptively simple, but something magical happens in the slow, low, cooking process. The flavors of the squash and onion blend together into something amazingly delicious. I call this recipe “melted” because everything in the pan softens, but it’s the very opposite of bland.
Melted Zucchini and Onions (Paleo, AIP, GAPS, Wahls, Whole30)
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. zucchini or summer squash, sliced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste (optional – omit for AIP)
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, sprinkle with salt (and pepper if using), and stir again. Cover skillet and cook until tender (approximately 15 minutes). Stir twice during the cooking process, adding a little more seasoning each time.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: paleo, aip, gaps, wahls, whole30, melted zucchini and onions
You May Also Be Interested In