“For is there any practice less selfish, any labor less alienated, any time less wasted, than preparing something delicious and nourishing for people you love?” ~ Michael Pollan
I absolutely love good crockpot recipes. They’re easy, make the house smell amazing, and cook while you’re away. It’s the closest thing to having your own personal chef. This is one such recipe, and it even comes with a delicious grain-free gravy. If you’re looking for another, check out my Beef Pot Roast with Holy Grail Gravy.
inspired by Simply Recipes
4 medium apples
1 large onion
1/4 cup water
4-5 lb. pork roast (boston butt or pork shoulder)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic (pressed or finely minced)
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried rosemary
- Peel and core the apples and slice into wedges. Scatter them in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Peel and halve the onion and slice it thinly. Scatter on top of the apples.
- Pour ¼ cup water over the apples & onions. (This small amount is intentional. The pork will release its own juices.)
- Combine the olive oil, garlic and spices together in a small bowl. Rub this mixture over all sides of the roast. Place roast on top of the apple/onion mixture, positioned so the fattiest side is on top (this way, the pork will self-baste as it cooks).
- Place the cover on the crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours, until meat can be shredded with fork.
- When done, lift meat onto a plate and make the gravy: Pour the onions/apples/cooking juices from crockpot into a blender and puree. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the pork shredded, with gravy on top.
Servings: The roast cooks down quite a bit. Count on 8 servings for a 4 pound roast.
This post is linked to the following blog carnivals:
Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable, Real Food Friday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Healthy Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Wellness Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Whole Food Friday, Healing with Food Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Paleo Rodeo,