This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to see what that means.
(Paleo, AIP, GAPS, Wahls)
“The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”
~ W.B. Yeats
Do You Believe in Magic?
Two weeks ago, I featured a recipe called Mackerel in Magic Sauce, because the sauce was so delicious, it transformed the fish. But the true test of a magic sauce is if it does the same for many different recipes. So, I put this one to the test on a beef, broccoli and pineapple stir fry. Result? Again, one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. Magic Sauce is well-named! If you use it in other recipes, please let me know. What should I try it on next?
The Power of Sulfur
Dr. Terry Wahls recommends we eat 3 cups sulfur-rich vegetables daily, and this meal has you covered with broccoli, cauliflower and garlic all falling into this category. Why are these vegetables so important? Sulfur is involved in hundreds of biological processes in our bodies and is particularly important in supporting our natural detoxification pathways. In the past century, over 80,000 new chemicals have been released into the environment and no matter how careful we are, we can't avoid them all. We are all toxic to some degree, and thankfully our body is set up to detoxify daily. The problem is that those systems were never intended to process the amount of toxins we are faced with today. There's medicine in our groundwater, pollutants in the air, and plastic in our bloodstream. I know that sounds scary, but there are also sulfur-rich vegetables available to eat, and they really are medicinal foods. They boost our bodies' ability to detoxify more toxins, more efficiently.
- Put the magic sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer 10 minutes uncovered, then turn off heat. Use slotted spoon to remove garlic & ginger. Cover pan to keep warm.
- Steam the cauliflower florets with 4 whole garlic cloves until tender, then turn off heat.
- Stir Fry: Melt 1 Tbsp. coconut oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry beef pieces for 2-3 minutes, until both sides are browned & meat is cooked. Transfer beef to the pan with the magic sauce & melt another Tbsp. coconut oil in skillet. Add broccoli. Toss to coat evenly with oil and cook 2-3 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and cover pan, steaming broccoli to desired level of tenderness (2-5 minutes more). Transfer broccoli to pan with magic sauce & beef. Melt final Tbsp. coconut oil in skillet & add pineapple. Fry 1 minute each side until browned, and then transfer to magic saucepan.
- Use a large spoon to stir everything in the saucepan, until all is coated evenly with the magic sauce.
- Finish making the mashed cauliflower: Put the cooked cauliflower and garlic in the food processor, along with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil and ½ tsp. salt . Process until smooth.
- Serve stir fry & sauce on top of the mashed cauliflower
- Note: If you're like me and cook with garlic often, this little kitchen tool makes peeling cloves easy, which makes me a happier cook.
More Delicious Recipes