“For is there any practice less selfish, any labor less alienated, any time less wasted, than preparing something delicious and nourishing for people you love?”
~ Michael Pollan
I absolutely love good crockpot recipes. They’re easy, make the house smell amazing, and cook while you’re away. It’s the closest thing to having your own personal chef. This is one such recipe, and it even comes with a delicious grain-free gravy. If you’re looking for another, check out my Beef Pot Roast with Holy Grail Gravy.
adapted from Simply Recipes
Slow Cooker Roast Pork with Onion Apple Gravy (Paleo, AIP, GAPS, Wahls, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 hours
- Total Time: 8-10 hours
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Peel and core the apples and slice into wedges. Scatter them in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Peel and halve the onion and slice it thinly. Scatter on top of the apples.
- Pour 1/4 cup water over the apples & onions. (This small amount is intentional. The pork will release its own juices.)
- Combine the olive oil, garlic and spices together in a small bowl. Rub this mixture over all sides of the roast. Place roast on top of the apple/onion mixture, positioned so the fattiest side is on top (this way, the pork will self-baste as it cooks).
- Place the cover on the crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours, until meat can be shredded with fork.
- When done, lift meat onto a plate and make the gravy: Either use an immersion blender to blend everything in the crockpot. Or pour the onions/apples/cooking juices from crockpot into a stand-up blender and puree. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Serve the pork shredded, with gravy on top.
- The roast cooks down quite a bit. Count on 8 servings for a 4 pound roast.
- If you want to try this recipe in an Instant Pot, you can pressure cook it on high for 100 minutes, but know that roasts tend to be more tender when slow cooked. The Instant Pot also has a slow cook function, but unfortunately it varies model-to-model regarding how well it works. I recommend using a standard crockpot/slow cooker for best results.
Keywords: paleo, aip, gaps, wahls, whole30, crockpot, slow cooker roast pork with onion apple gravy
More Delicious Recipes